How to Pick a CNA College near Antioch 94509
Congrats on your decision to become a CNA and enroll in certified nursing assistant courses near Antioch CA. After you have earned your certification, you will be starting a rewarding career in one of the fastest increasing positions in medical care within the Country. Though it may well seem like a complicated task, it’s imperative that you pick the right course to obtain the proper training and education. Many prospective students start with the two most essential qualifications, which are the location of the school and the price of tuition. You may also be pondering whether to attend CNA classes on campus, or enroll in an online CNA course and attend them at home. More on that alternative later. But doing your due diligence prior to choosing a school consists of far more than comparing the cost or location. Such things as accreditation and the reputation of the school must also be taken into consideration. We will be addressing those issues as well as a few other questions that you should be asking before you register in a CNA school. But to start with, let’s talk a little bit about what a nursing assistant does and the type of instruction and credentials that are available.
The Function of a Certified Nursing Assistant
Certified Nursing Assistants complete many duties in the Antioch CA hospitals, practices and other health organizations where they work. Per their title, CNAs are not licensed by the state but instead are certified. Since they are not licensed, they work under the direction and supervision of either a licensed LPN or RN. And as nursing assistants, their prime job function is to aid the licensed nurses that they work under. Their duties are numerous and varied, and in a hospital setting might include:
- Furnishing basic services to patients
- Taking patient’s vital signs
- Maintaining a record of patient’s health status
- Bathing and dressing patients
- Serving and aiding patients with meals
- Moving patients to other areas
CNAs might also practice in Antioch CA nursing homes or long term care centers. In those environments, nursing assistants are more engaged in supporting patients with their Activities of Daily Living (ADL). ADLs are defined as routine activities that the majority of people perform daily without help, such as eating, dressing, or using the bathroom. Nursing assistants typically develop more of a bond with these types of patients since they usually stay in the facilities for extended time frames. Often, they can end up being the channel between the patient and the rest of the medical staff due to their familiarity with their charges. Consequently, the CNA’s knowledge can be a valued resource for planning the appropriate care and treatment of long term care patients.
In contrast to many other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to attain a college degree. CNA instruction can be acquired at community colleges or at Antioch CA vocational or trade schools. The duration of the instruction can take anywhere from 1 to three months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to receive at least 75 hours of training, 16 of which have to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimum period of training required and that every state has its specific requirements. So it’s necessary to make certain that the training program you enroll in not only satisfies the federal requirements, but additionally those for the state where you will be practicing. One recommendation is to check with the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the training is state approved. As well as the training, each state mandates a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there might be additional prerequisites as well.
Other Nursing Degrees Available
There are multiple degrees offered to become a nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in as little as 2 years, or continue on to earn a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some brief summaries of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Antioch CA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is generally a two year program made available by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and later achieve a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more in depth training than the ADN. It is commonly a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may desire to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is usually a 2 year program after acquiring the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has earned one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing fluctuate from state to state, so be sure to get in touch with the California board of nursing for any state mandates.
Questions to Ask CNA Colleges
Now that you have decided on which nursing program to pursue, as well as whether to attend your classes on campus or on the web, you can use the following pointers to start narrowing down your options. As you probably are aware, there are numerous CNA schools and colleges throughout California and the United States. So it is essential to decrease the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a workable list. As we earlier pointed out, the location of the school along with the expense of tuition are most likely going to be the first two things that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your ultimate selection, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. Aside from helping ensure that you receive a quality education and employment in the Antioch CA area, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not available for non-accredited schools.
- Certification and Licensing Preparation. Certification and Licensing criteria for nurses are different from state to state. For CNA certification, passing a state specific exam is required. For RN and LPN licensing in all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN or NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a specified number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an excellent education, but also preps you to meet the minimum certification or licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Look at internet rating services to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. Also, get in touch with the California school certification or licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Antioch CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the CNA programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a superb reputation within the Antioch CA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to help students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to acquire experience as a certified nursing assistant is to work in a clinical environment. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour mandates for certification too. Check if the schools have a working relationship with local Antioch CA hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Online CNA Schools
Enrolling in CNA programs online is growing into a more preferred way to receive instruction and acquire a certificate or diploma in Antioch CA. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and nearly all programs call for a certain amount of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare facility. But since the balance of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more practical answer to finding the time to attend school for some students. Concerning tuition, many online CNA programs are cheaper than other on campus alternatives. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be minimized, helping to make education more easily affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). So if your job and family responsibilities have left you with little time to pursue your academic goals, perhaps an online CNA program will make it easier to fit earning a certificate into your active schedule.
Considering CNA Classes Near Antioch California?
If you have decided to enroll in a CNA Training Program in the Antioch CA area, the following article may provide some interesting and useful information about the location of your new school campus.
Antioch (formerly, East Antioch, Smith's Landing, and Marshs Landing) is the second largest city in Contra Costa County, California, United States. Located in the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area along the San Joaquin-Sacramento River Delta, it is a suburb of San Francisco and Oakland. The city's population was 102,372 at the 2010 census and estimated to be 110,542 in 2015.
Antioch is one of the oldest towns in California. In 1848, John Marsh, owner of Rancho Los Meganos, one of the largest ranches in California, built a landing on the San Joaquin River in what is now Antioch. It became known as Marsh's Landing, and was the shipping point for the 17,000-acre rancho. It included a pier extending well out into the river, enabling vessels drawing 15 feet of water to tie up there at any season of the year. The landing also included a slaughterhouse, smokehouse for curing hams, rodeo grounds, and even a 1½-story dwelling, embellished with fretwork, that was brought around the Horn to serve as a home for the mayordomo (manager) and his wife.
In 1850, two brothers, William and Joseph Smith, founded a town slightly west of Marsh's Landing, and named it Smith's Landing. In 1851, the town's new minister persuaded the residents to change the name of the town to Antioch, for the biblical city of Antioch.
Select the Right CNA School near Antioch CA
Enrolling in the ideal certified nursing assistant degree program is potentially the most crucial phase to beginning a new career in the health care field. There are numerous factors that you need to consider when picking a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and financial situation. As we have pointed out within this article, it is important that you choose an RN school and a degree program that are both accredited and have excellent reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a shortlist of schools to choose from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your hard work and desire to succeed, you can become a certified nursing assistant in Antioch CA.
More Fascinating Locations in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 119
Bing: California cna programs Search results
CNA Requirements and Training Programs – CNA Classes Near You
Get free information on State Board approved CNA Classes & Training Programs in your city. Become a CNA in 4-6 weeks, enroll in Online/Campus Programs.
Providing Perineal Care on a Female and Male as a CNA
Also referred to as peri care, this CNA skill involves washing the anal and genital area. You can do it as a separate procedure or as part of bathing your patients . It is important to prevent skin breakdown in the area, as well as burning, infections, itching, and odor.
Certified Nurse Assistant Training Programs
PO Box 997377 MS 0500 Sacramento, CA 95899-7377. For General Public Information: (916) 558-1784. COVID 19 Information Line: 1-833-4CA4ALL (1-833-422-4255)
Become a Nurse Assistant | Red Cross
The 5,000 students who take our program annually average a 90% graduation rate, and upwards of 80% pass the state exam to become a licensed or certified nurse assistant (CNA). The Red Cross has been the gold standard in nurse assistant training since 1990. Are you a provider interested in offering NAT training?
CNA to LPN Programs - PracticalNursing.org
CNA programs require a high school diploma. No previous nursing knowledge is required, this is the beginning of the line for nursing education. Program lengths vary from as little as 2 weeks for some full time accelerated programs to as much as 12 weeks for part time programs.
CNA Testing Vendors - California Department of Public Health
PO Box 997377 MS 0500 Sacramento, CA 95899-7377. For General Public Information: (916) 558-1784. COVID 19 Information Line: 1-833-4CA4ALL (1-833-422-4255)
Certified Nurse Assistant - Best American Healthcare University
The Certified Nursing Assistant is a healthcare provider who assists nurses in caring for patients in healthcare facilities. CNA ONLY - $2499 (includes uniform, textbook, state exam) Complete Care Technician (CNA + PCT+ EKG+ Med Admin + Med Assistant+ Pharmacy Tech) $10,000 Best Choice. CNA + Basic Acute Care (850) + Home Health Aide (650) = $3800
Online LVN Programs in California: See CA Approved Schools
Earning your LVN credential can be a great entry point into a rewarding nursing career. Licensed vocational nurse positions in California are on the rise with an estimated growth rate of 15 percent during the 2018-2028 decade, according to Projections Central, and 11,600 new jobs expected to come open.. To practice as an LVN in California you’ll need to complete your credential and pass the ...
CNA Chula Vista | Eastlake Medical College | San Diego
CNA Exam Registration Form . CDPH 283B (PDF) Chula Vista Certified Nurse Assistant Initial Application. CDPH 283B (PDF) Fontana Certified Nurse Assistant Initial Application. BCIA 8016 (PDF) Request for Live Scan Service. Chula Vista Campus Physical Exam & TB Test Form. Fontana Campus Physical Exam & TB Test Form
Calinstitute - Certified Nursing Assistant
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Career Services Financial Aid Why CCI? ... Blog Open Menu Close Menu. Current Page: Home Folder: Programs. Back. All Programs Vocational Nursing Program Dental Assistant Program Medical Assistant Program Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) ... California Career Institute is the leader in innovative nursing ...